Saturday, June 20, 2009

My cat gets migraines


I have noticed that some bloggers have a schedule. They post on prescribed topics for each day. I am not that organized so I just "wing it" and try to go with whatever pops into my head. Some days, there is nothing in my head.

So, here I sit with my little buddy, Sunny, at my feet. Sunny (looking peaceful above) has a thing about thunder and fireworks. He can hear it miles away. Despite the fact that there is not a cloud in the sky today and the 4th of July is several weeks away, he's skulking around with his head down like he's threatened.

I have come to the conclusion that Sunny gets migraine headaches.

Of my four cats, Sunny is the biggest eater and has the girth to show for it. Naturally, he is the one most likely to wake me in the morning to get up and open a can of catfood. I always divide it into bowls and set three down on the kitchen floor. Gracie and Tweedy will eat a little and then leave. (Snuffy, the oldest, sleeps in and comes later.) Sunny gobbles up his food and then cleans up the "girls" dishes. They also have dry food to nosh on the rest of the day.

However, when Sunny has a headache, he doesn't come for breakfast. When he gets finally gets up, he moves around slowly, head down with his eyelids puffy and half-closed. He tries to stay away from any bright light or noise and holes-up for the day. Fortunately, he doesn't suffer them very often or for more than a day.

I haven't spoken to the vet about it (she'll probably think I'm far too anthropomorphic) but I've had enough headaches to empathize. What would she give him for a headache anyway?

5 comments:

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I would definitely mention Sunny's behavior and most especially those puffy eyes to your vet. I used to work for a vet many long years ago and he was always on the alert for anything involving the eyes.

Sparrow chic said...

Poor Sonny !! Maybe he has allergies ??

MimiRock said...

At first I thought you were joking, then reconsidered: why can't cats have headaches? I think I'll Google "cats" and "headaches," maybe "migraines" and see what comes up. I'll let you know. BTW, we have 4 cats. My husband calls them his "therapy cats," since they love to be cradled and cuddled and provide him (a sufferer of COPD) with therapy.

Bevie said...

I post a schedule at the bottom of two of my blogs. Sometimes I actually follow them. Most of the time I'm like you: whatever pops into my head.

Might not be a bad idea to mention Sunny's symptoms to the vet. One never knows. And vets tend to understand animals have personalities without being anthropomorphic. (Not so sure I can. [smiles])

Barbara Blundell said...

Is there any booze that Sunny can access or has he been out on the tiles ? He looks a bit hungover