Friday, March 16, 2012

Welcome to my Happy Place!

When I retired in 2005, I had big plans to work on a novel I'd been puttering around with for years. I soon discovered that I didn't have a comfortable work space at home that would lend itself to my lofty aspirations. Regular desks were too high and desk chairs without height adjustments were uncomfortable.

Before, when I worked at the insurance company, the company nurse had set up my cubicle to be ergonomically compatible for me. The desk height was lowered and the keyboard and mouse were adapted to curtail the threat of carpel tunnel syndrome. Plus, I had a swell desk chair that was nice and comfy. I missed those things terribly.

I set about making myself a nice comfortable "cube" at home. There was a wide closet in the spare bedroom with bifold doors. We took out the doors and frame and stashed them in the garage. I measured the dimensions and went to Menards and they made me a formica-covered desktop for $35. A kind friend lent me her handyman as a birthday present. He came over and installed the desk top at a proper height. With another birthday present of an adjustable desk chair, I was in business.

But it still didn't feel quite right. I felt exposed on my right side--I was accustomed to the ell-shaped desk and cube enclosure. So, I went to a second-hand store and bought a small desk to set at a right angle to the built-in one. I got my new-used computer set up and I was good to go!

This truly is my happy place. When I'm at my computer, I totally lose track of time. But, even better, when I'm not feeling well or aching all over or really tired, I barely notice when I'm in my little cube! 

                                                             Yup, I'm a pack rat!

9 comments:

The Owl Wood said...

And that is how the bridge of the starship Enterprise would really look! Comfortable...

Cheryl Kohan said...

Hurray for you!! I love it. You might just have inspired me to spruce up my digs, too - ha!

Anonymous said...

Looks very homey and personal. My workspace still looks like a tornado went through. I'm still trying to find a home for everything.

Jane and Chris said...

I WANT MY OWN SPACE!
Jane x

Elaine said...

That looks like a very happy place - wonderful. My workspace has been taken over by George as he gets the seedlings going for spring planting!

Ms Sparrow said...

Thanks for your comments! I think you might call it organized chaos that reflects my passion for putting things in folders. On re-reading the post, I noticed that I said I got the small desk for the right side. I should have said my left side! I suffer with the life-long embarrassment of having a right-left deficiency. Hmmm, maybe that goes along with the clutter?

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

It looks inviting and comfortable. And workspaces like that are magnets for "stuff." Without stuff, it wouldn't feel like a place to write. Or would it? (I'll never know!)

^..^Corgidogmama said...

What a lucky duck you are to have a customized work space to blog and write and just be! Perfection!!
We shall expect to your finished book in stores soon!!!

Crafty Green Poet said...

it looks like a lovely place to work!