Sunday, October 4, 2009

More turkey talk



The turkeys were back again this morning. This time, they were taking turns roosting up in the crabapple tree and eating the tiny apples. As usual, they didn't stay very long. They seem to be restless birds, always on the move. The way that all fourteen stay together makes me think they're a single brood. Mama Turkey sent them off to live on their own but they stay together for safety.

I noticed that one bigger one has a little nubbin on top of his beak and a small red flap below it. He's most certainly a male and will grow the red wattle and majestic tail (see picture).

I don't know what dangers they will be facing, but I'm afraid most of them won't survive the winter. With so much competition for food, it's going to be tough. I'd be tempted to put out food for them but it would be expensive and my neighbors would be really angry.

Much as I'd like to, I can't mother everything. Sigh...

1 comment:

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

What happened to "Minnesota nice"?! Ooo, angry neighbors, I hate that! But I'm pretty sure those turkeys will be okay, they're equipped with instinct in those little noggins...hope the winter isn't too bad for them...