Sunday, February 1, 2009

Another calendar page

I turned the page on my cat calendar today. A gray and white kitten is washing its face while sitting on a window sill. There is absolutely nothing more charming and lovable to me than a kitten.

I sometimes wonder what it is in each of us that finds certain things appealing to the exclusion of others. Some people are nuts about flowers, and while I find them attractive, they are more or less just wallpaper. I have known women who were crazy about jewelry or shoes, and I can't help but wonder why. I have very few items of either.

Calendars, however, are a passion of mine. I can never pass a display of calendars without checking them all out. I buy calendars for everyone I know at Christmas and several for myself.I save all my old calendars because I can't bear to throw them away. Calendar art is something to be preserved.

For instance, several of my past calendars have been the artwork of Bev Doolittle. When I was still working downtown, I used to go over to a nearby art gallery that sold her paintings and visit them. Bev's outdoorsy works are full of marvelous hidden things. I could never afford to buy a Bev Doolittle, but for the price of a calendar, I could enjoy her art all year long.

3 comments:

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I have calendars up in every room -- lots of cat ones, and I'm also partial to lighthouse ones too...it is funny how people's taste is so different and what rings their bells, and I'm glad for all the differences, keeps it exciting and fresh!

Bevie said...

Calendars are cool. I used to keep them, too. Treated them like paintings. Then I got married. Spouse is so practical minded. Sees no sense in keeping old calendars. So they're all gone.

Cats, Dogs, Lighthouses, Castles, Fantasy Art. Those are my favorites.

Linda McGeary said...

I love this Doolittle picture. It's one I've never seen before. I don't know if you ever come back this far for comments, I been so busy these past couple of weeks that today was my first chance to catch up on some of my favorite blogs.
One of the reasons I like this picture is the flute player. I play the Native American flute. I have nine of them. And some Ocarina's too. They are beautiful instruments.
And that picture is great.
Thanks.