Sunday, May 20, 2012

It always makes me laugh

There are those rare things in life that are so funny that every time you remember them, you can't help but burst out laughing.

One of mine happened years ago when my daughter, Brenda was about thirteen. The Avon Lady came to our house selling cosmetics and fragrances. She opened up her case of products and showed us some sample vials of various colognes. Bren asked to smell the jasmine. She took the stopper off the tiny vial and held it up to her nose. It was such a light fragrance that she couldn't get a good whiff. Before I knew it, she inserted the vial into one nostril, closed the other nostril with her finger and snorted it!

She started coughing and sputtering, her eyes watering, as the Avon Lady and I looked on in astonishment. When we realized what happened, we both laughed so hard we were practically rolling on the floor.

Poor Brenda was exhaling perfume for hours afterward.The only after-effect she has suffered is the indignity when we retell the story and laugh all over again. (In fact, I laughed the whole time I was writing this!)

10 comments:

Bea said...

LOL That was a good story. I was laughing while reading because I SAW the situation in my head. The Avon lady used to come to my mom too when I was about Brenda's age. But I never did that kind of testing. :)))

The Owl Wood said...

Sometimes the body does things while the brain can only scream "Nooooooo!" while time, and reactions, stand still! A good nasal wash-out with perfumed alcohol once in a while is probably a good thing.

Did Brenda get her sense of smell back?

;-)

Elaine said...

Poor Brenda. That is exactly the kind of thing I would have done. Does she ever wear perfume?

Moving with Mitchell said...

I wonder if that was the first "aha moment" in Brenda's life. So, what does she think of jasmine perfume now? Poor thing (but I'm laughing, too.)

Linda Starr said...

Oh she didn't know the best way to smell the perfume is to dab a bit n the skin and let it meld a while, that must have been an awful feeling.

Brenda Ellingson said...

Mom! I had just had a eureka moment because of you! I can't stand any fragrance that is remotely similar to Jasmine. At 51, I finally know why. I do not ever wear perfume of any kind to this day. I loved The Owl Wood's comment. That pretty much sums up the situation.

Ms Sparrow said...

Take a look at Brenda's comment above!

Sparrow chic said...

I've enjoyed sharing this story about my sister for years. Awful older sister that I am !

^..^Corgidogmama said...

It was always such an event when the Avon lady came to call I remember. She pulled out all those magic samples...little one inch square foil packs, and those tiny little tubes of lipstick and eyeshadow. Those days were so much fun. Life was so simple and we enjoyed all the little things.
Sure enjoyed this funny memory of yours!

Daughter Number Three said...

That's the most I've laughed from something I read in quite a while.