Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Another Tuesday


This is my sister and my grandson in front of the globe at the University of Wisconsin Geology Museum in Madison. I took this picture last Tuesday. It shows I am gradually mastering the intricacies of the devious, inscrutable camera. (I risk tempting fate by getting too cocky, so I will say no more on the subject.)

Yesterday, I pressed the boy into helping me attack the Wild Cucumber weeds in the wooded lot next door. This is a summer chore I have been pursuing for some years now and it's a nasty job. The vines spread in all directions and climb as high as 20 feet. Happily, it seems to be helping to eradicate the blasted stuff because there was much less of it this year. Of course, that might be due to the lack of rain.

A few years ago, I wrote a piece on the Wild Cucumber and submitted it to a local horticultural publication. They sent back a very nice rejection letter (sigh).

4 comments:

Sparrow chic said...

Isn't he a handsome boy, sigh, I miss him ? XOXO I hope he is helping out and doing a good job. See you this Friday.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

What a sweet sister and a handsome grandson!

Keep trying to get published. Maybe seek out an online botanical publication? Perhaps someone in the agronomy field might be interested, since it is a very intrusive weed.

Pearl said...

But they read it, didn't they?!

:-)

I haven't even had the nerve to send something off...

Pearl

Barbara Blundell said...

I dont think we have wild cucumber . Just the tame edible variety but we do have creeping Jenny who stealthily takes over the lawn unless you keep a wary eye on her.
Yes, handsome boy !