Saturday, March 28, 2009

Thursday jerk

I discovered with a shock that I haven't posted since Wednesday. After an exceptionally boring winter, suddenly I'm busy all the time. This is good.

I volunteer at a large clinic on Thursdays. My job is to sit at the lobby desk and direct people to the floor their appointment is on, fetch wheel chairs for those who request them and generally be friendly and helpful. It's a low stress job and I meet lots of interesting people of all nationalities.

About five years ago, the State of Minnesota passed a law that businesses and public places must post signs if they did not want people who carried concealed weapons to enter the building. Our sign reads:
"HAPPY HEALTH PROHIBITS FIREARMS ON THESE PREMISES"
Personally, this seems like a no-brainer. Why would anybody take their gun to a colonoscopy?

On Thursday, a middle-aged man came up to the desk with his hand inside his coat. "Can I leave my gun with you?" he asked. I was stunned--I didn't even want to see a gun! He slowly drew his hand from his coat to show his finger in pistol position. Then he laughed and said, "Every time I see one of those signs I've wanted to do that!" Then he walked away.

JERK!

I quickly got over it but it gives me pause that it could have been a real gun.

6 comments:

Bevie said...

NOT funny. You should have told him, "Hope you're not here for any kind of rectal examination. The doctor's my brother."

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

What an unfunny man! All kinds in this old world, some of them busy filling that JERK category.

Daughter Number Three said...

I've been ruminating lately on what it is that makes people behave in such clearly antisocial ways. Not getting too far with my pondering.

Ms Sparrow said...

I think what makes me the most angry is that there was nobody else in the lobby at the moment and he saw an (admittedly) older woman sitting alone and vulnerable. You can bet he never would have had the nerve to do that if the security gaurd had been there. It was basically a "crime of opportunity". Shame on him!

Bevie said...

You're right, J. That makes it all the more sickening.

Lyn said...

This guy was simply NOT a JERK .... but an ASSHOLE!