Thursday, January 21, 2010

Niceties


There are still a lot of Christmas lights on at night around my neighborhood. I really appreciate it a lot.

All the soft snowy vistas are gone and we are left with big piles of dirty, clumpy snow. This ugliness will be around for months yet, so we need the bright cheeriness of those lights. Since it adds a lot to the electric bill of those folks, I'm sure they do it purposely--whether to lift their own spirits or that of others, it's a darn nice thing to do.

So, here's my quiet salute to all the good-hearted people who light up my world!

5 comments:

Sparrow chic said...

I hate dirty snow, but dirty snow leads to green grass soooooo....

Kathy said...

When I start seeing too much dirty snow, I know I'm ready for spring.

^..^Corgidogmama said...

A few folks still have their trees up in small town USA here. I kept out one string of teal lights to wrap around an old red stool that holds a big basket of green plants. I love the soft color. It cheers my soul. We have three inches of glazed over ice...the poor corgis try to walk in the back yard to potty, and slip and slide.
Ahh, winter...surely it will end soon........yeah, right~like in April!
Hang in there girlfriend!

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Wow, I had no idea folks still have their lights up and burning!!! Here it is a big no-no to keep lights up outside, unless it's patio lights or courtyard lights...I have lights on inside, mixed with pink roses and fake ivy...

A Voice From Now said...

We put our lights up on the day after Thanksgiving and take them down a few days after Christmas.

Doesn't the season officially last from December 25th to January 7th, though?