Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Dirty Dishes

As kids, my siblings and I took turns doing the supper dishes. One night it was my sister and I and the next night, my two brothers. Of course, we would sometimes get into big fights over it--like who left the nasty dried-on pot hidden in the oven?

Years later, the same thing would happen with my own four kids. When I came across this poem, I put up a copy by the kitchen sink. (It didn't really help.)

Thank God for dirty dishes,
For they have a tale to tell.
While other folks go hungry,
We're eating very well.

With home and health and happiness,
We shouldn't want to fuss,
For by this stack of evidence,
God's been very good to us.

6 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

There were three of us, so it was washer, dryer, put awayer. On a three week rotation. Speaking of modern technology, my dad used to ask how soon detergent from poorly rinsed dishes would cause the demise of the human race.

Sparrow chic said...

Ah, I don't remember the poem, barely, but I sure do remember the fights. And the brother who always hid in the bathroom until the dishes were done. Hmmm, Do they still teach how to wash dishes in Home Ec ?

Joanna Jenkins said...

Very nice poem!

My siblings and I used to battle over doing the dishes. I'm pretty sure the poem wouldn't have changed anything back then.... but now I'm pretty sure it would draw a smile or two.

Thanks, jj

Moving with Mitchell said...

Love the poem. But, if I were one of your kids, I would have argued to NOT wash the dishes so we would always HAVE the "stack of evidence."

Ms Sparrow said...

Joanne: If badly rinsed dishes were gonna kill you, many of us would be long dead!

Chic: I wonder if kids still have to do the supper dishes anymore!

Joanna: I kinda think I clipped that poem from either the Dear Abby or Ann Landers column.

Mitch: Obviously, none of my kids were as clever or witty as you are!

Teresa Evangeline said...

All my mother asked of us when we were young and she worked hard at the cafe they owned, was to do the dishes. We would keep an eye out for her car to round the corner from the highway before we started them, and what could she say? There we were doing the dishes when she walked in. We got to goof off for as long as possible and they still got done, but of course we should have been more thoughtful and had them done when she walked in the house.
For years, I hated doing dishes, now I kind of enjoy it.