Monday, February 20, 2012

I am a reluctant re-use maven


This is my dining room looking into the kitchen. The hutch came from the Salvation Army Thrift Store, the chairs from the Goodwill Store, the table under the fan was from my Mom's estate, the table on the back wall (behind the fan) came from Unique Thrift store as did the cat tower on the far left. The table under the pass-through was bought used along with the sofa and loveseat from a guy moving out of town.

I buy all my clothes at thrift stores except for socks and underwear. Just recently, my computer monitor died and I bought a used one from a store that recycles old computers.

This is not so much because I am noble or thrifty but because I don't have any "disposable income". Of course, that may well be due to the proven fact that your expenses will always increase to equal your income.

It sure would be fun to test that theory on a higher income, however!

9 comments:

Buttercup said...

The room looks great. I'd love to know if I would be as frugal if I won lotto.

Joanne Noragon said...

You've done good, in the idiom. A fellow thrift shopper here, too. And, as I told a daughter, as long as you know me, I'll be working. Although I don't know what I'd do not working.

gayle said...

Wow you have gotten some great deal!

Teresa Evangeline said...

I think it's good to recycle whatever and whenever we can. My kitchen set is second hand and it was exactly what I would have bought if I'd went to a furniture store. I've bought many things second hand through the years and still look at the possibilities when I can. Even items like this need love and appreciation. Many of them have histories and lives of their own in a way. I bet they appreciate you giving them a new home. :)

Linda Starr said...

I am the same way, have to be very thrifty, love the china hutch and that round side table, lovely way you have it all organized. Those are some wonderful finds, ever so much better than new for sure.

The Owl Wood said...

Well, you've obviously got an eye for it - that looks like a professionally styled room given that loved touch. Re-cycled and re-used items seem to appreciate the chance and purr in their new homes!

I often wind down the window of my Porsche 911 Turbo as I drive past poor people and shout out to remind them that money wouldn't necessarily make them happier. I think they appreciate the advice; they always take the time and energy to wave a cheery finger or two in thanks.

Elaine said...

You have an eye for it, it all looks lovely. I could happily work in a kitchen like yours - with that big opening into the dining area - no need to feel cut off from everyone else.

Two of our sofas have been recycled so much they are dizzy. We had them for a few years, gave them to our daughter who used them for several years, they then decided to buy some other recycled sofas (more to their taste) and asked if we wanted them back. They now sit back in our home and we couldn't be more pleased, they are so battered and comfortable!

Ms Sparrow said...

Thanks to all my fellow thrifters--if that's even a word (my spell check doesn't think so). I must admit I do enjoy a good bargain.
When I see what incredible prices folks pay for designer clothes, etc.
I wonder how they justify the waste of money.

Cheryl Kohan said...

I can't bear to buy something new unless I can't find a used version of whatever it is that I'm looking for. And thrift stores are my very favorite shops. Love that table under the pass-through to your kitchen!