Thursday, December 29, 2011

Last chance to send your extra money...

I read once that a wily huckster placed an ad in the back of a magazine with the simple message, "Last chance to send $1 to ....". People actually mailed money to him!

I'm thinking that's the same psychology that's spurred all of the online solicitations I'm getting from various non-profits. Their reasoning seems to be that I have an excess of money to get rid of before the end of the year and they will help me by taking my money and thus provide a tax deduction. While I appreciate their kind consideration for my pending tax return, having excess cash is not a problem for me.

According to the TV news, there are two lottery winners in the country who have not claimed their huge prizes this year. The deadline is this week. The unclaimed prize money will go back into the lottery funds. If I won the lottery, I would probably have this turn of luck.


5 comments:

Elaine said...

Oh, does that mean you won't be sending me any then? (!!)

Murr Brewster said...

Well, you know what Robin Williams said about the lottery. It's a tax on people who were never all that good in math.

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be awful to be a winner and not know it? Wonder if I am one of the two : )

gayle said...

I seem to be getting a lot of calls on my cell and regular phone wanting money too! On a happy note my husband won $200.

Buttercup said...

Somehow I don't think I'm one of the winners. Off to work tomorrow morning! Wishing you a very happy and healthy new year!