Thursday, January 1, 2009

A whole new year to louse up

I just put up my new calendar for the year. It has a picture of two sleeping cats snuggling up together. I already have four notations on dates on the new calendar. They are the same as the notations on last year's calendar--meetings, writer's groups and appointments. Things are not looking good for this to be a shiny, prosperous or in any way different new year.

But then, this is the time of the year when the winter doldrums begin to set in--you know, Seasonal Affective Disorder aka SAD. This is when the Minnesotans who don't ski, skate or snowmobile settle in to brood. Some say this is the result of our Scandinavian and German heritage. The tendency for Northern Europeans to brood is credited (or blamed) for producing many philosophers, scientists, psychologists and writers who have shaped our thinking.


Now that's something to brood about!



"Great thoughts come to me in the winter time. What was hidden becomes obvious."

1 comment:

Pearl said...

I am an excellent brooder, and yes, I blame my ancestors. :-)

Pearl