Monday, January 19, 2009

I love News

I heard some advice on handling stress the other day. The Professional said that if the news stresses you out, stop watching the news.

Not follow the news?! Now, that would stress me out! My son calls me a "news junkie" for good reason. If I don't know what's going on in the world, I feel isolated and uneasy.

Sure, I get tired of hearing about stupid wars, and conflicts over stupid stuff like "who hit who first". I get upset when I hear about Rwandan rebels threatening the mountain gorillas. I feel really bad when I see what global warming is doing to the polar bears in the arctic. My heart bleeds for the AIDS-ravaged people in Africa. I become alarmed at what over-population is doing to our beloved planet.

Nothing I do or say will change it, yet I am a citizen of this world and I have to know what's going on. It's sorta like the refugees in WWII huddled around radios listening for news about the war. It matters! Everything matters!

So, insignificant as my knowledge of what's happening may be in the scheme of things, I need to know! Long live the Star Tribune Newspaper and the news industry!

No comments: