Saturday, January 10, 2009

Look what my cat can do!

I have three cats of various colors, ages and genders. I love them all dearly, but, they are pretty unremarkable as cats go. So imagine my surprise when dear old Snuffy did something mind-blowing.

Snuffy was born on a farm near the North Dakota border thirteen years ago. My daughter Paula and family lived on a neighboring farm. Paula took the three boys over to get a free kitten and they chose a fluffy little black male. Being outdoor cats, they were a little wild and the boys had to chase the kitten through the grove to catch him. They took him home and named him Snuffy.
(Snuffy's Malt Shop is a Twin Cities chain of hamburger restaurants and a big favorite of the boys.)

Several years later, Paula asked me to take Snuffy and his cat companion, Tweety, when they left the farm and moved into an apartment. The cats came to live with me and adapted to "city" life just fine.

Years passed.

Then, one night recently I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth and getting ready for bed. Snuffy came into the bathroom, jumped up on the toilet seat and whizzed!
Right into the toilet!

Now yesterday, I woke up to the sound of someone in the bathroom--and there was Snuffy at it again. I am kinda weirded out by this. How does an old farm cat suddenly acquire such a sophisticated skill?

Am I in the Twilight Zone?

No comments: