Friday, May 14, 2010

Losing Friends

I just learned yesterday that another blogger friend has died. He called himself  Bevie and blogged under A Voice in the Wind among other names. The most wrenching thing about his untimely death is that he died solely because of poverty. His requests for help from the State of Minnesota and the county resulted in only food stamps. He had no medical coverage of any kind.

Bevie had once been well-employed and he, his wife and son lived in a nice home. As his health began to fail, he could no longer work and they fell behind in house payments. The mortgage lender, in their heartless, hard-nosed rectitude, foreclosed and the family moved out of the house last August. They sold most of their belongings and moved into a small, third floor apartment.

Months later, Bevie and his son took a drive back to the still-vacant house. It was fast falling into disrepair with nobody living there. The pointlessness of it all saddened him greatly.

The family struggled with living on only his wife's income. Getting-by meant that they went to the food shelf when possible and every expense was major. Yet, amongst all this, he was determined that his son should have a saxophone to enrich his life. In spite of his own needs, he insisted that his son would not go without.

Bevie died in his sleep one week ago. His selflessness very likely shortened his life, but maybe that's not such a bad legacy. Rest in peace, Bevie.

13 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
^..^Corgidogmama said...

Ms Sparrow, such a sad, sad story!
More and more this is happening I'm afraid. You're right, it was totally pointless to be forced out of their home like that, only to have it sit empty and uncared for.
Hopefully his gift to his son, will carve a life's path that the son will grow from. Again, so sad that this happened. Life is cruel, and is becoming more so each day to many.

Kathy said...

That is very sad and just seems so wrong in this day and age doesn't it. We are a country with so much yet so many suffer and go without basic needs. I'm sorry for your loss and I will keep your friend and his family in my thoughts.

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

The inequities in life are horrifying. We haven't progressed much. We act like we have, and people talk about how horrible the old days were -- AND THEY WERE -- but the same crap is going on NOW, too. What a sad story. I went and read his blog. Least I could do. RIP Bevie.

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

It makes me both sad and angry that more and more people are losing health and homes and life itself, while a few at the top get increasingly wealthy. I like to think someday we'll turn that around, but I don't know how....

fairyhedgehog said...

By the way, I have to say that I don't think that the sax made any real difference to what happened, except in improving Bevie's quality of life. He took such pride and joy in his son's playing.

If the US had a National Health System like the UK's, I think things might have been different. Our NHS is creaky but we do all get health care.

Teresa Evangeline said...

I'm so sorry, Ms. Sparrow... As imperceptible as it might seem now, I hope the tide is turning...

Anonymous said...

A sad story indeed. Why this country does not have medicine and medical care for rich and poor alike is beyond me. I am hoping Obama would deliver to the goods but I understand his efforts are being blocked by the Vote No Party of Republicans.

gayle said...

This is so sad and should not be happening in the USA!!

Barbara Blundell said...

What a sad story, Things like that shouldn't happen
I think our system has gone the other way though and help and support are claimed too easily and often unnecessarily.

Barbara Blundell said...

Hi Ms Sparrow ,
Apologies for the jaundiced comment. I know that I have been fortunate to have good health and the ability to pay the bills whereas others are not so lucky and it is good that they are taken care of.
You do read about many hale and hearty living on benefits though !

Kittie Howard said...

OMG, this is really, really sad. We look at TV and hear the statistics but they don't hit home until a terrible situation like this becomes, well, close to family, for that is what Blogville is. I'm sorry, Ms Sparrow. Life doesn't have to be this cruel.

Stacy said...

Ms. Sparrow, I tried e-mailing you at the address you sent, but the e-mail was bounced back. Can you contact me, please? Thanks!