Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Another Mother's Day


Every year my kids come over for Mother's Day dinner. I really look forward to feeding them just like when they were young. They always appreciate the meal too.

Each year daughter number 2 brings me a Mandevilla plant. They are always so heathy and bloom beautifully (see above). My son always brings me a hanging plant for the patio, and daughter number 3 gives me money to buy whatever else I need.

Daughter number 1 bought me an electric can opener. With my hands getting stiff and painful off and on, I thought it would be a big help. She told me that she has never had good luck with electric can openers lasting very long or working really well.

What has been your experience with electric can openers?

9 comments:

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Hmmm, I prefer the non-electric, hand crank model, but like you, stiff hands and thumbs that don't work any longer, plus a gippy grip...I'd go with an electric one!
What thoughtful kids, and I always love cooking a meal for my kids when they come~!

Kathy said...

We got one as a wedding gift back in 1972. When it bit the dust I never bought another one. I just use a good old fashion one. The flowers are beautiful!

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

I don't remember ever having one. They seem like a good idea...let us know how it works!

Greener Bangalore said...

hi Sparrow you know what!....this post clearly gives the picture of your intimacy and the closeness among family members....I some times feel many western countries follow family values and close knit relationships much better than the so called family oriented eastern world.

Greener Bangalore said...

and one more thing......how should i address you? Ms Sparrow? coz i cant see your name anywhere here... :)

gayle said...

Use to have one but when it broke, we never replace it!!

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

Oh how funny Ms. Sparrow, I gave my mom an electric can opener, due to her hands, the very tall kind, and she loved it. She had never even considered one, and my family hollered at me that it was very "bourgeouis" of a gift, but she LOVED it!!! And used it and used it!!!

fairyhedgehog said...

I saw your comment about Bevie over on Stacy's blog. Like you, I'm sure the system failed him and we'd still have him alive today if he'd had proper medical care.

I think his family are very private people though and would not want to get the press involved, especially now.

If you want to talk about it, please do email me at mssparrow.fairyhedgehog@recursor.net and I'll give you my real email address (I use a disposable one when I think spambots might find it.)

All the best,

Sparrow chic said...

Well, Holly, I did get her the extra tall one. A Black and Decker model, so I'm hoping it doesn't crap out to fast.
Our family does feel very fortunate to be able to get together frequently over the year and keeps in touch as much as possible.