Friday, April 3, 2009

Salute to Lindy

Tomorrow my oldest granddaughter will undergo bariatric surgery in Fargo. She's 25 and has three little girls (see "The flip side of Spring"). The surgery was rescheduled from Wednesday to Saturday after the hospital was evacuated due to the flooding.

She's enthusiastic about getting it done and I don't blame her. If I would have had that option at her age, I'd have done it too. It's not her fault she's overweight because she inherited the same
big-belly genes that I did. My mom had a big belly as did all her sisters.

I can't help but wonder what is the evolutionary benefit to having a big belly? It makes for nice soft, bouncy mommies but it really screws up your Body Mass Index. The "apple" body shape is reputed to be the most likely to produce diabetes and heart trouble which makes for grandmas that don't live as long. Of course, in evolutionary terms, grandparents are largely expendable.

I guess I shouldn't complain though. At my 50th class reunion in September, I met a classmate who was awaiting her first grandchild. Not only do I have eight really neat grandkids, but three darling great-granddaughters.


I will now close and
count my blessings.

1 comment:

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Much luck to her. That's a hell of a surgery. I have 4 neighbors who have had various of the bari surgeries; slow and steady seems to be the key to recovery and success with the new ways of eating.