I've lived in my current home for 19 years. I really like it for a number of reasons, particularly because there are absolutely no stairs. We can come into the building, go directly through our front door and straight out onto the patio. For people with bad knees and sciatica, this is a blessing.
One feature that I dearly miss, however, is having a kitchen window. For most of my life I've had the luxury of being able to look outside while working at the sink. Now I have a blank wall with a couple plaques of fruits and vegetables. It's just not the same. The featureless wall sometimes reminds me of being in a basement.
The lovely thing about a kitchen window is there are a host of things you can do with it. You can:
- Decorate it with cute curtains or window treatments.
- Hang planters in front of it.
- Put pretty stained glass doodads on it.
- Ripen tomatoes on the window sill.
- Root plant cuttings.
- Watch your kids.
- Watch your neighbors.
- Watch the changing of the seasons.
- Watch birds and wildlife.
- It's a great place to grow cactus or succulents.
- And best of all, catch the spring breezes.