Saturday, August 22, 2009

Retro desserts

Speaking of foods no longer on the market, remember Jello's wonderful Whip and Chill? I used to make that for the family back in the 70's. It was like a mousse and it looked really fancy with a dollop of Dream Whip on top. There was another product called "1-2-3" that was Jello that separated into three layers as it set. It was really pretty in a tall glass.

There have been different flavors of Jello that have come and gone over the years. (There are flavors in stores right now that will probably disappear one day as well.) I remember Spiced Tomato flavored Jello was available at one time--probably for aspic. Not a big hit. I looked online for some of the other failed flavors, and there were quite a few:
  1. Mixed vegetable
  2. Celery
  3. Blackberry
  4. Mango
  5. Sparkling berry (you added 7up)
  6. Mixed fruit
  7. Apple
  8. Apricot
  9. Sparkling white grape
  10. Concord grape

I'm sure you can remember others that came and went. Much as I love Jello, I never tried most of the discontinued flavors. It might be that some of them were just being test-marketed.

A Rainbow Foods store near me is selling three "dessert toppers" called Orange Crush Orange and Vanilla Cream, Dr. Pepper Cherry and A&W Rootbeer Float. I bought a bottle of the orange stuff. (Ingredients: Corn syrup, High fructose corn syrup, Water, artificial flavors, etc) It is dreadful! Gross! Horrible! I have not seen it any other grocery stores so I'm thinking that this is a failed product in the making. Nobody would buy it a second time.

I looked it up online and found it's manufactured by Vita Food Products. I sent them a customer message giving them my opinion, but I doubt that I'll hear back from them... The product they have listed right below the three dessert toppers is Scorned Woman Hot Sauce!

1 comment:

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I do not eat Jello...made from animals, you know...and boy, looking at that picture and reading the list of failed flavors makes me very, very glad I don't!!! And I think I remember some sort of Jello concoction that would divide into layers as it chilled?

By the way...WHIP N CHILL...that name sounds a bit kinky...LOL...

Thanks for the warning, I will avoid any "dessert toppers" I come across from Vita Foods...sounds almost INDUSTRIAL in nature...