Saturday, February 1, 2014

A salute to the squirrels!

We've been having historic low temperatures for a long stretch along with lots of snow. There doesn't seem to be any relief in sight either. I am always amazed to see the squirrels racing around in the trees like it's a spring day when it's 20 below 0. I put out an assortment of food every day for as many as eight squirrels and the flock of sparrows who show up for a handout.
                                     (Borrowed image)
With all the snow and bitter cold, there is very little going on outdoors. I'm so grateful for the uplifting energy and spirit of those little furred and feathered creatures who brighten my day.
                      (Borrowed image. Eastern Gray Squirrel)
                      Our area is home to three kinds of squirrels.
                          (Borrowed image of Fox Squirrel)
They're more caramel-colored. After the bad storm we had last June, the Gray Squirrels disappeared and some Fox Squirrels moved in. It seems like there was a "Wooded Lot War" and the Gray Squirrels took over again.
                                                    

                        (Borrowed image of Red Squirrel)
.There are also several little hyperactive Red Squirrels that sneak over to snack on the food too. They're half as big as the other squirrels but very active and noisy.                                    

21 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

I lost count of the fat fellows around under the bird feeders lately. I don' think there will be much to clean up, come spring.

Joanne Noragon said...

I lost count of the fat fellows around under the bird feeders lately. I don' think there will be much to clean up, come spring.

Linda said...

This post and photos made my day. Thank you so much for the smiles...I really needed, and appreciate this. :)

Jane and Chris said...

Poor red squirrels were virtually wiped out by the grey squirrel in the UK. We only have red squirrels here in the country,conversely the towns only have grey squirrels. A division of land that seems to work!
Jane x

Rian said...

I love watching the squirrels. We had an over-abundance of acorns this Fall. The lawns were covered! (guess we should have guessed that the winter was going to be harsh?) Anyway, the little critters around here certainly should have been prepared...

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

We love watching the squirrels, too, until they foil our anti-squirrel devices and get onto the bird feeders. I wonder whether chasing around keeps them warm, because they sure do a lot of it. Haven't seen any red ones lately, only greys.

Susan said...

I love watching the squirrels--they are so smart and industrious. You have me smiling!

Kittie Howard said...

Thank you for the morning smiles. Those squirrels are precious. I love seeing them scampering around. My favorite's the red squirrel. . . kinda feel sorry for them as the grey squirrels are so aggressive.

Knatolee said...

THey are TOUGH little creatures, aren't they? THe ones here have enough black walnuts stored up in our barn and granary to last a century!

Buttercup said...

Haven't seen many squirrels these days, mostly just pigeons. Longing for the spring and some squirrel activity.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I love squirrels, they're such energetic wee creatures! That looks like a UK red, I didn't think you got that species over there?

Ms Sparrow said...

I replaced the image of a UK red squirrel with and Midwestern red squirrel. Crafty Green Poet in Scotland spotted the error.

Moving with Mitchell said...

They are adorable little creatures but they used to really bug me in Connecticut when they'd steal ALL the birdseed from the feeders. We invested in squirrel baffles that finally worked ... except for one unbelievably clever (and acrobatic) squirrel. I figured he deserved his rewards.

Bob Bushell said...

A lovely little Squirrel, I
love them.

troutbirder said...

I counted sixteen of the little thieves yesterday. The cold weather seems to make the even hungrier.

Willow said...

Ha I love the red squirrels they are so talkative. I don't see lot of them around here.

Willow said...

Happy Saint Patricks Day Mrs. Sparrow . :)

andiepants said...

Chiming in belatedly to say I love this post! I've said it before, but I always enjoy your posts about wildlife. Great squirrel photos too, borrowed or not!

Hope to see some updates soon! I took a hiatus from blogging for a while, but I'm slowly getting back to it....

Chris said...

Hi there, I used to love feeding the squirrels when I had a house - they would climb all the way up onto my lap and help themselves to a peanut in the shell. Never bit, so sweet. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Linda said...

I hope you are doing O.K., I haven't seen you around in a couple of months. Just letting you know I am thinking of you and concerned.

Steve said...

Loved your squirrel post.